When is the best time to approach a localization vendor? Should I wait for the software to be complete?
Software localization should be treated as an integral component of the development process. Decisions regarding localization have a great deal of influence on the development and technical writing procedures and processes. You should consult with a localization vendor on internationalization issues at a very early stage in the development of your software, since doing so will save you time, money, and frustration during the localization stage.
What is a localization kit?
A UA localization kit is a set of files, tools and instructions created by the software developer and sent to the localization vendor at the beginning of a software localization project.
What specifications should I prepare for my translation project before contacting a localization/translation company?
Before contacting potential translation companies, ask yourself the following questions:
- What is the purpose of the translation?
- Is it for publication or for in-house use?
- Will I need two rounds of proofreading?
- Who are the target clients, and where are they located?
- How many words are in the document to be translated?
- Do I have reference material to help the translator become familiar with the industry and company-specific terminology?
- Do I have a glossary to send to the translator?
- In what format are the source documents?
- In what format do I need the translated documents?
- Do I need desktop publishing services?
- What is the deadline?
- What is my budget?